Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Reflection for March 29,2017

" Pharaoh answered, “Go up, and bury your father, as he made you swear to do.”(Genesis 50:6)

Today I officiated at the funeral of the parent of a friend from high school. It certainly wasn't my first funeral, but it is always a privilege to be invited into people's lives to help them in their time of grief.  There weren't a lot of folks there but that was as the deceased wished it. 

I always wonder about funeral plans. I haven't written mine out yet, but I should because you never know when they'll be needed.  Death is one of the few things we are guaranteed in life. And a gift most of us could give our families is a planned out funeral. Even though the funeral is for the living, it is still a celebration of the deceased's life.

I know I will honor my parents wishes whatever they are, since they haven't shared them with me yet. And I feel certain that my sons will do the same for me and their mom as well.

We aren't called to dwell on death, but we are called to plan for it and then put it away until it is needed.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment