Thursday, March 16, 2017

Reflection for March 15, 2017

"just as the sons of Jacob came in from the field. When they heard of it, the men were indignant and very angry, because he had committed an outrage in Israel by lying with Jacob’s daughter, for such a thing ought not to be done."(Genesis 34:7)

This chapter of Genesis is not one we read in church for obvious reasons.  It is as Phyllis Trible would say a "text of terror."  The outrage should be the rape itself, but it is more about purity of line and economics also.

I know that when someone mistreats any member of my family I get indignant and very angry too.  I don't know how angry I'd be if an actual crime were to occur.

There are events in life, that should make us indignant and very angry, because they ought not to be done.  It doesn't always have to involve an immediate family member, it can just be about the treatment of other members of the human family as well.

Blessings,
Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment