Thursday, May 4, 2017

Reflection for May 4, 2017

"Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, saying, “Give me also this power so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 8:18-19)

Living in our consumerist culture there are many things that money can buy.  The things we need to live our daily lives with cost money.  We can buy services for work we need done.  We can pay for education post high school to help us further in our careers.

There are of course things money cannot buy.  Money can't buy you love the so the song goes.  You might get a date but not love.  Money cannot get you God's favor, love or blessing.  No spiritual gifts can be bought.  God's gifts and love are free.  While God's love is given the same way to everyone, spiritual gifts are appointed.

I didn't buy my ordination, though the seminary education did have a cost.  The rights and privileges bestowed on me where free.  I can't imagine someone just buying these things, but out there in the world there are folks who believe that everything has a price.

God's blessings however are not a commodity to bought or traded.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment