Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Reflection for May 20, 2017

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand toward heaven so that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, a darkness that can be felt.” (Exodus 10:21)

It is hard to imagine a darkness that can be felt.  Mainly because darkness is not something our sense of touch tells us of.  Our sense of site yes. Poetically speaking we may say a thick darkness, but darkness is not something you measure in that way.

I can imagine that a darkness that can be felt is one where you literally cannot see anything, not even a hand in front of you.  I've been in some dark places, usually at night, but I don't recall being in a place with literally no light. I would find such a thing terrifying.  I probably would sit still and not move until some light was shed.

I think this is true of a dark night of the soul that St. John of the Cross once spoke of.  Which again might be felt but more as a weighing down of the soul.  And when we are in such a place it is only when the first rays of the light of Christ start to shine in, that we can start to feel comfortable moving around.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment