Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Reflection for May 27, 2017

" Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you."(Exodus 20:12)

Parent kid relationships can sometimes be strained.  Often with some reason that is justified, though occasionally not.  I feel blessed that I have always had a good and loving relationship with my parents. While we are not geographically close we communicate regularly.  I also know that as they age, I will want to make sure that they are given the best care possible.  Actually they've got that covered too probably.

In our context parents are often living longer than they did in biblical times so this the 5th commandment takes on even more meaning. Many people have the care of parents as a reality for them.  This can be hard but if the relationship was strong not burdensome.  But to honor them would for me mean to always make sure that they live their lives fully and are treated with dignity should they need care.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment