Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Reflection for May 1, 2017

" Therefore, friends,[b] select from among yourselves seven men of good standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task,"(Acts 6:3)

One of the greatest risks in my line of work is trying to do everything. Church work is quite varied and there is a lot to do.  So it is insanity really to try to do it all and ultimately on a collision course with failure.

The early church knew that distributing the work among capable people meant that things got done.  I don't know that the number 7 matters or that they have to be men, but you certainly want them to be full of the Spirit and wise.  

I find that when people are given ministries to do that they feel called to and speak to their hearts, good things happen.  I also know that when I spend more time doing what a priest is supposed to do, as compared with trying to do things that aren't in the purview of my call and won't trust others to do it, things don't go well.

It is always wiser to find the right people and then trust them to do what you've asked.  True in the church, true in life in general.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment