Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Reflection for January 31, 2017

"I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds,  I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh." (Genesis 9:13-15)

Most of us have seen a rainbow after a storm. We know that it is light refracted through vapors, but even with that scientific fact, it still creates a sense of awe and wonder.  It has inspired legends of pots of gold, a major song in the movie the Wizard of Oz.  Rainbow flags are now part of the LGBT communities sign of unity.  You taste the rainbow when you eat Skittles.

What's interesting though is who the rainbow is for according to Genesis.  While we may see the rainbow it is there to remind God, not to do the flood thing again. It is God's promise to us, that inspite of the fact that we mess up time and time again, rebooting is not part of the plan.

So the next time you see a rainbow, let it remind you that you have a relationship with a God who can see us in all our stripes and colors. And that world wide destruction by flood is not on God's agenda.

Blessings,
Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment