Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Reflection for February 8, 2017

"  Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. She went, and filled the skin with water, and gave the boy a drink."(Genesis 21:19)

I feel fortunate that I haven't had too many, if any, times in my life. when I have felt hopeless.  If I tried to place myself in Hagar's shoes though I could sympathize.  Not much if anything is going right for her.  She's been cast out because of the jealousy of another.  What little she was sent out with is gone. And there seems to be no way for her child to survive.

Throwing up her hands and walking away is something that most of us can understand when we feel hopeless.  And crying it out can feel like the only productive thing we can do.

But it is through that pain and her crying out that God shows the way of hope.  Who knows whether that well was there all the time or not.  But we do know that she finally saw it.  And perhaps it is when we don't give our selves over to despair that what we need to bring ourselves back suddenly appears.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment