Monday, February 13, 2017

Reflection for February 13, 2017

" So he built an altar there and called upon the name of the Lord, and pitched his tent there. And there Isaac’s servants dug a well."(Genesis 26:25)

Most of us at one time or another have moved, at least once, probably more than once actually. And with every move there is usually something we do, to mark the new place as our own. Perhaps you have a picture that until it is hung the place is not actually home.

My father used to joke that you could find the houses he lived in in Haddonfield when you saw a black iron eagle near the front door.  Apparently my grandfather liked those.

I'm not sure how I would say something begins to feel like my home, since I've never actually owned a home. The one piece of furniture that has accompanied Gail and I wherever we have landed is her wind up Phantom of the Opera musical doll.  Though I don't know if I'd call that a marker.

Apparently in ancient days building an altar and digging a well was one way to mark a place as home. The well is a good thing to have since water is essential for life.  But perhaps more enlightening is the building of an altar, a symbol of God's presence in that place where you plan to dwell.

What ways do you mark God's presence in your home?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment