Monday, February 6, 2017

Reflection for February 6, 2017

"Then he said, “Oh do not let the Lord be angry if I speak just once more. Suppose ten are found there.” He answered, “For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.”(Genesis 18:32)

If there's one thing I'm no good at it is bargaining.  I'm very impressed by folks who can. Always managing to get the best deal possible.  That's just not my strength.  So if I can't do it with humans I seriously doubt I could do it with God.

And yet that is what Abraham does.  God has told him that he's going to destroy the city of Sodom, because they are really a very wicked people.  God doesn't tell Abraham what the problem is at this point, but Abraham believes in a just God, and trusts his relationship with him, enough to dicker with the Most High.
And he succeeds in getting God down from 50 righteous people to 10 righteous people.  10 apparently is God's best offer.  It doesn't stop God from visiting Sodom to see if there are even that many folk there, but it gives them a chance.

A lot of people do try to bargain with God.  Making all kinds of promises of what they will do if God will only do whatever it is they are hoping for.  I haven't found that this is the most successful way to get what you want or need.  it is probably true if the only time we talk to God is when we want something.  I'm not saying that regular conversations are the key to success, but it certainly improves the chances.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment