Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Reflection for February 25, 2017

"He said also to the one who had invited him, “When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind."(Luke 14:12-13)

It is pretty rare that I actually host a luncheon or a dinner. Though I will admit that in those rare occasions that I might, I'm probably inviting either family or friends.  I've never opened my home to strangers, and honestly I doubt that I would.

In church of course it is different. While we should be inviting our friends and family we also need to be open to those who are not just like us. The banquet that is offered is Christ's, we are just called to be those who make sure that it runs smoothly. It is the sending of the invite that is harder.  Do we really want "others" to be with us?  And if they are not in our usual circles what do we need to risk in order to invite?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment