Monday, January 30, 2017

Reflection for January 30, 2017

" Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and its mate;"(Genesis 7:2)

When you think of fairly well known stories from the Bible, Noah's ark has to be one of them. We've all seen paintings of animals entering the ark, or leaving the ark.  It is quite the image.

Because this was the first "reboot" if you will, you had to have animals that could mate to make more animals. What caught my eye this time was that it was seven pairs of all clean animals but only one pair of the unclean animals.  And I find myself asking why?  But the more I thought about it, it made sense.  You need the clean animals for food, that you are allowed to eat.  So why even bother with the unclean animals at all?  And the answer for me seems to be that they also serve a purpose, albeit not for food.

The clean/unclean polarity doesn't speak much to me.  As a Christian there are no unclean foods for me. That God new that he needed all of creation to be restored in order for the world to function makes a lot of sense to me.

And if I took the message one step further, that all people regardless of who they are also needed.  The created order works better when all are present.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment