Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reflection for January 24, 2017

" He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered, “The Messiah of God.”(Luke 9:20)

In the ordination process here in the Diocese of NJ, there is something that has become known as the "Ed Zelley question."  And it is the above quote.  It is interesting how many people who wish to be a priest, haven't thought about that question.  They often seem caught off guard.  I do understand that the question might at first seem to be a gotcha question.  Do I have an answer that I'm looking for and they better get right?  Actually I don't, but I do expect an answer.

As a Christian I need to know who Jesus is for me. There are of course nice pious answers, but I think we need to go deeper than that. And of course as we grow and life takes us in different places how we answer that question might change. 

But ultimately it should not be a question to fear.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment