Sunday, January 29, 2017

Reflection for January 28, 2017

"Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother’s keeper?” (Genesis 4:9)

That question of am I responsible for someone else?  Age old question isn't it?  It is a rhetorical question, because when we ask it, we already know for us the answer is no, or I hope not. 

Yet the reality is that yes we are our brother and our sister's keeper.  Not only those who we share immediate blood ties with, but also every other human being that walks the planet.

I think this is why Jesus continually points us to our relationships.  Why his message is always about how we treat those who are not us.  His advice to treat others the way we wish to be treated is incredibly important.  Even if you see yourself as fiercely independent, there will come a time when you might need someone to be care enough to be your keeper.

Blessings,
Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment