Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Reflection for January 10, 2017

"When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage."(Luke 4:28)

I've been a preacher for over 23 years.  In that time I have somehow managed never to make more than a handful of people mad at one time.  I can't imagine what that would feel like to know that everyone who heard what you said is really enraged, to the point of wanting to hurl you off a cliff, literally or figuratively.

I've probably avoided this by not being all that prophetic in my preaching.  Like I said I know I've made individuals mad, not only with my preaching but sometimes just in off handed remark.

Was it what Jesus said, or who he was to his hometown crowd that caused the problem.  Probably a little of both.

We all have expectations placed on us by family and friends.  And when we deviate from those expectations, when we do or say something unexpected, that it is often those who we think know us best who are sometimes our biggest critics.

I do okay mending small scale hurts that I cause.  If the time ever comes that I do something that causes mass hysteria negatively focused on me that I too can have the presence of Jesus to just walk on through the crowd.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment