Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Reflection for January 17, 2017

"therefore I did not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed. "(Luke 7:7)

A definition of the word presume is to be audacious enough to do something.  Presumption can be healthy I suppose, a confidence in one self to try.  But I can see the shadow side of being cocky, self-righteous and foolhardy.  The centurion in this passage knew to not presume anything, seems like a healthy self awareness.

What he had was an assurance in the power of Jesus to do anything. Jesus didn't have to show up, he just had to speak.  

While I haven't personally witnessed that kind of healing, I do know that sometimes just a phone call, or in our day a text, facebook message, or any kind of communication can make quite a difference to a friend or family member who isn't doing so well physically, emotionally, or spiritually.  

I know that being reached out to in that way has helped me on more than one occasion.  When we feel that we are alone in whatever is going on with us, it is hard to "heal" in any sense of that word.  When we know others are walking or praying for us, sometimes changes do happen.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment