Monday, January 2, 2017

Reflection for January 2, 2017

" For nothing will be impossible with God.” Luke 1:37

If you wondered how I choose what I'm blogging, I have to first give credit to Canon Rob Droste, he told me of a book Search the Scriptures. It divides all of the Bible into a three year reading.  Each day has some questions for reflection based on the reading.  I may choose to answer the question or may go in a different direction, but it will always be based on the reading of the day.  This gets me immersed into scripture, always a good thing for any person of faith, but part of my ordination vows as well.

This verse taken from the story of Mary's visitation by the angel Gabriel spoke to me.  Two days into the new year and we still don't know everything that might occur in the coming days ahead. 

Have you ever been challenged by something that you didn't feel you were up to, had the capability to achieve, or that you just couldn't see it working out? Probably more than once.

I would imagine that Mary being told she was to bear a child, considering what she may or may not have actually known of how these things happen, had her doubts.  Fascinating that when she questions Gabriel he answers her.  Yesterday's reading Zechariah questioned and got 9 months of being a mute for his questioning.  I'll take Mary's prize.  Maybe it was because she was younger and needed that patience to explain it to her.  In the end she accepted that she had a course laid out for her.  But perhaps it is that line that nothing is impossible with God that gave her hope.

I've always thought there was a difference between improbable and impossible.  The improbability of something gives a healthy sense of realism but we might find a way forward. Saying something is impossible leads us to never try.

But as people of faith, who trust that God is walking with us, nothing is impossible when God is involved, so don't quit or fail to try.  This doesn't mean that everything succeeds, but when we fall into the despair of impossible, then we guarantee it won't happen.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment