Saturday, July 15, 2017

Reflection for July 15, 2017

"For you deliver a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down."(Psalm 18:27)

There are some adjectives in the English language that when you hear them even if you didn't know the definition you can picture what it means.  I think haughty has to be one of them.

The dictionary definition is disdainfully proud; snobbish; scornfully arrogant; supercilious:  I have no problem picturing someone with haughty eyes. The type of person who looks down on others.  And may be proud but probably with nothing to base that pride on.

I hope I'm not haughty. I can be flip and sarcastic from time to time, but I don't think more highly of myself than I ought to.

I won't boast of being humble, because that seems to me to be an oxymoron.  But I will strive to have eyes that see the beauty in others and the dignity in them.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment